Montana Grape and Winery Association 2017 Conference, Polson, Mt.
The March 30-April 1, 2017 Annual Conference will be at the KwaTaqNuk Resort, Polson, Mt
You are invited to this year's, 2017, Conference. Downloads, on the left of this page will give you an Informative Invitation, A Detailed Schedule, and An Application form. If you have questions, call-406-871-5499.
Thursday, March 30
- 3:00 pm Registration
- 4:00 pm Board Meeting
- 6:00 pm Welcome Reception, wine tasting, People's Choice Red and White Awards, Best Label Award
Friday, March 31Breakfast on your own.
- 8:30 am , coffee, tea, limited pastries
- 8:30-9:00 am welcome Dr. Pat McGlynn
- 9:00- Harlene Hatterman-Valenti: Diseases in Viticulture
- 10:00am break
- 10:15 am Larry Robertson: Basic Water Management & Regulated Deficit Irrigation for Mt. Vineyards
- 11:00am Kate Fuller: Vineyard Economics: Farm Management Decision Making in Long Lived Perennial Crops
- 11:45 am LUNCH, provided, and annual meeting of Our Association.
- 1:00 pm Tom Plocher, Developing New Grape Varieties for the Changing Northern Climate.
- 2:00 pm Zach Miller, USDA Specialty Crop Block Grants- Establishing Quality
- 2:45 Caressa Bailey Sacks: Judging Wine with WSET
- 3:45 pm Set up for Wine Tasting
- 4-5:00pm C. Bailey Sacks Wine Tasting Critique using WSET. Awards for best Overall Wine and Best Label
- 5:00-6:45 pm Set Up for Banquet Dinner
- 7:00-9pm Prime Rib Banquet
Saturday, April 1
- 9:00 am TWO TRACKS
- 9:00- 12:00 am Larry Robertson and Tom Plocher: Pruning and Water Workshop
- 9:00- 12:00 am Rod Allen and Al Putnam: First Timer Intro to Wine Making and Viticulture for Beginners
- 12:00 Lunch on your own
- 1:00- 4:00 pm Local Polson Wineries
Experts We Enjoy
Dr. Carl Rosen, Soil Scientist, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Talk: "To Feed or Not to Feed?"
Andy Sponseller/ award winning Ten Spoon Winery Owner. Talk: "Overcoming Mt. Growing Challenges".
Dr. Bill Gartner, Dept. of Applied Economics, U of M, St. Paul, MN. Talk: "Can We Make a Buck?"
Ken Schultz, commercial award winning winemaker, Hidden Legend Winery , Victor, Mt. Talk: "Crafting Quality Wine: Advanced Winemaking"
Bob Thaden/ award winning vintner, owner, grower. Tongue River Winery, Miles City, Mt. talk: " Troubleshoot this Wine!"
Dr. Greg Cook/ Chemistry Professor, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND. Talk: "Troubleshoot this Wine! Advanced Winemaking"
Dr. Pat McGlynn, Montana State University Cooperative Extension, Kalispell, Mt. Talk: "What's the Latest?"
Dr. Al Putnam, retired Horticultural Professor, Michigan State U, award winning winemaker & viticulturist, Corvallis, Mt.
Dr. Zach Miller, MSU Research Center, Corvallis, Mt. Talk: "Mt. Grape Research".